Single post
My photo adventures

Milestone – My first solo photo exhibit – car details! Advice?

I’m so excited, I’m going to have my first solo photo exhibit!  In addition to stock photography I love to take photos of car details, and the University of Michigan has accepted a set of 12 photos for an exhibit “It’s all in the details: Car design,” to take place on North Campus in November.

I got the photos printed through online service AdoramaPix, and framing through Michael’s framing here in town.  The framing manager there, Ryan, has been tremendously supportive of my photo endeavors, so I’m happy to do business with them. I looked up local places but it just didn’t work out.

The exhibit folks offered to have a reception. At first I was thinking I wouldn’t have a reception, as I really don’t like to have attention called to myself, but my artist friend Shonda Bottke insisted I had to have one, so I agreed.

What advice do you have for me as I prepare for this first exhibit and the reception?  I’d love to hear from you, thanks!

01_Montgomery_light_blue_hood 02_Montgomery_1937_Chevy_side 03_Montgomery_1960_Corvette_side 04_Montgomery_1962_Blue_Imperial_tail_light 05_Montgomery_1949_Ford_Club_Coupe_grille 06_Montgomery_1957_Chevy_flames_hood 07_Montgomery_1957_Chevy_red_tail_ornament 09_Montgomery_Packard_Executive_ tail_light DETROIT - JANUARY 27 : FILL IN HERE at The North American International Auto Show January 27, 2013 in Detroit, Michigan.

08_Montgomery_1957_Chevy_ tail_light 10_Montgomery_Buick_Eight_front_grille 11_Montgomery_Buick_Eight_spare_tire

October 19th addendum – Some details figured out. Exhibit will take place November 16 – December 13, Pierpont Commons piano room, 2101 Bonisteel Blvd, here in Ann Arbor. I can’t wait… :)

Advertisements

About Susan Montgomery

I'm a stock photographer, with focus on editorial, classic cars, travel, and nature.

Discussion

17 thoughts on “Milestone – My first solo photo exhibit – car details! Advice?

1. I know that this post is almost a year old, but I love that you showed automotive detail pictures. I enjoy taking detail shots also (https://www.flickr.com/photos/135535272@N05/with/21910968182/), but I never thought about doing an exhibition. So you’ve prodded me to do more stock photos with your article on DPS, and now my mind is stirring about the possibility of a similar exhibition.

Posted by mindpulp1 | October 22, 2015, 12:54 pm
    • Great to hear! I like your car detail photos, particularly those where you get down to the specific detail, where you had the patience to wait until people were out of the shot, and where you positioned yourself so you can’t see your reflection in the photo. Best wishes with this!

Posted by Susan Montgomery | October 24, 2015, 1:36 am
  2. Wonderful series.

Posted by Ron Scubadiver | November 20, 2014, 7:04 pm
  3. How exciting! The photographs are incredible. What a great opportunity.

Posted by Bo's | October 24, 2014, 10:39 am
  4. Love your photography skills. Would you mind swinging by my page and take a look. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance

Posted by ostara73z | October 3, 2014, 5:45 pm
    • Thanks so much! I really like your photos, we seem to like a lot of the same things, and I’m also a single mom, so we have that in common too… Advice, let’s see… One that helped me a lot is this – before you take the shot, look all around the edges of your shot to see what might be in the background that is going to distract from the main focus of the photo. That alone made a big difference – Just changing the angle of the shot, or moving an item out of the way can make a big difference!

The other of course is to just keep taking photos, you’ll find out what you like and what you don’t like, and you’ll bump into the limits of your camera knowledge, which will force you to learn a bit at a time the capabilities of your camera, which also will help improve your photos. That’s how I did it at least, and I’m still learning..

Best wishes,

Susan

Posted by Susan Montgomery | October 4, 2014, 9:43 pm
  5. Wow! Very cool, Susan! Congratulations!

Linda C. Peterson Assistant to the Associate Dean Undergraduate Education College of Engineering University of Michigan 734-647-7150

*Expect Respect & Spectrum Center Ally*

Posted by Linda Peterson | September 29, 2014, 10:14 am

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Pingback: Year in Review – Looking back on 2014 | Susan Montgomery Photos - December 29, 2014

2. Pingback: Monthly reflections – December 2014 | Susan Montgomery Photos - December 21, 2014

3. Pingback: Monthly reflections – November 2014 | Susan Montgomery Photos - November 28, 2014

4. Pingback: Making labels for a photography exhibit | Susan Montgomery Photos - November 19, 2014

5. Pingback: Monthly reflections: October 2014 | Susan Montgomery Photos - October 12, 2014