Finally processed the photos I took on a trip to France last summer, yey…
I had a few days on my own first, where I visited Giverny and Monet’s house and garden, then had a bit more than a week with my boyfriend, mostly in Paris but also a day trip to Normandy and Omaha Beach area. I was very conscious that this was not a photography trip that he was coming along for, it was a couples trip that I happened to be taking advantage of to take some photographs.
Things I did right:
- Balanced tourist time with photography time, so as not to burden him.
- Took photos of every day scenes, like people walking on the streets, and pastry shops:
- Lined up a shot I wanted then waited for the right combination of people to come into it to make it more interesting:
- Took the time to get just the right shot – when my boyfriend was busy doing other things so I wasn’t making him wait forever. I spent over 10 minutes taking more than a dozen shots of this lovely musician while he shopped in the market:
- Tried for unusual shots of the Eiffel Tower, with tourists in it:
- Patiently waited for the wind to be just right to get the cool shot of the weathervane at a train station while waiting for the train to return from Giverny. The weathervane never again lined up before the train arrived, good thing I caught it when I did:
- Made a note of the names of the streets and tourist signs at photo locations to make it easier to write captions later.
- Had fun trying to recreate some of Monet’s paintings:
Things I could have done better:
- Many little technical details and probably missed many shots, but I really enjoyed the trip for itself, the photos were a side thing.
- Again, process them sooner, it took me months to get back to them. I realized I was overwhelmed by the number of photos I had to get through. Once I realized that the only way to get through them was to… get through them, I was able to break the task up into little pieces: Select favorites, copy them from iPhoto and name them, break them up into little sets that didn’t seem too overwhelming to work on, clean them up on Photoshop, then caption and keyword them. Some days I was all for cleaning up, other days I was more interested in captioning and keywording, I played it by ear until they all got done.
Yesterday I finished the last batch, and submitted the last photos, ended up having over 100 photos approved, yey. You can see the photos that were accepted by Shutterstock here (last few aren’t up just yet, patience..)
Best wishes on YOUR photography adventures,