I have written Artist Statements for a number of shows now, and I remember not knowing at first what to include in them, so for those of you who are new, here are some suggestions based on what I have done myself and from reading others’ artists statements at the shows I have been in.
Items to consider including:
- Name, email, website
- Brief bio, particularly about you as a photographer
- A photograph of you, and/or a business card
- Philosophy of what photography means to you, what inspires you
- Information about the piece(s), any theme you might have, why it interested you.
- Details on the camera you use (I don’t do this, but more techy folks do)
- Thank you to the exhibit organizers
- Some type of “hope you enjoy the piece” statement to the visitors.
One of my artists statements is included below: